Sunday, January 1, 2012

DIY noise maker toy

Violet loves puffs, but she loves shaking the can of puffs even more. She is also really good at getting the lid off making the puffs fly everywhere. For a while now I have been wanting to make her a little shaker out of an empty can of puffs. I finally saved one and right before I started I thought I might as well make it pretty.  So, I got to work this morning while she was out and about with her Pop and Poppie. It was super quick and easy to make. Here is what you need. 

  • Glue gun/glue sticks
  • Scissors
  • empty container with lid
  • rice and beans
  • stash of pretty fabric scraps





 First I cut out the fabric for the lid. I left about an inch and a half over of what I needed so I could wrap and fold it underneath. Then I just folded and glued it down all the way around.

 Then I measured and cut what I needed for the container body. Glue and wrap the fabric all the way around at the top first, then glue down the long open end. Make sure to tug and pull the fabric tight so it's not baggy and fits snuggly to the container. To finish this part cut some excess fabric off the bottom then fold and glue it to the bottom of the container like you were wrapping a gift with wrapping paper. I also ended up cutting a circle of the same fabric to cover the folds and glue on the bottom just to give it a more finished look.

Pour in the rice and beans. I used about a cup of each. After I poured in the noise makers, I cut a circle of fabric and glued it over the opening to give it extra spill protection. (Not pictured)

 Glue the inside of the lid, press it firmly onto the container, and continue pressing down for a minute to make sure it holds tight. I had a gap between the lid fabric and container fabric, so I took scraps from the edges of old hankies and embellished until it was covered.

1 comment:

  1. So Creative.....what a wonderful idea.
    I am sure Violet will love it and enjoy it
    even more because her sweet momma made it for her.

    ReplyDelete